Trout falls from sky onto Green Lake yard

What do you think? (9 Comments) April 23, 2012 at 2:37PM

Chris Jordan, who lives a block and half up from Green Lake on Sunnyside Ave N, shares the following:

I was walking home from Starbucks on Sunday afternoon, nearing my house, when I heard a loud comotion of black birds overhead. I looked up and saw 4 or 5 blackbirds chasing and harassing an immature Bald Eagle. The eagle flew very low, about roof top high, and I watched him fly twice around my house and then fly off with the crows still chasing him.

As I walked into my yard my 9 year old son was standing in the side yard and said, “Hey Dad, look – a fish just fell out of the sky!” I went over and sure enough there was a trout about 1 foot long laying in the grass. I picked it up and it was still cold from the lake water. My wife came out and said she heard something hit the window and looked out and saw the fish in the yard. I realized the eagle must have dropped it.

The trout was in good condition, with just two punctures from the eagle talons. My son and I brought it in to cook it, but my wife said No. I took the fish down to the lake and gave it to a trout fisherman and told him the story of where the fish had come from. He said he would be happy to take it.

Only in Seattle…

9 Responses to “Trout falls from sky onto Green Lake yard”

1. Great story Chris! Tell J and Y I say hi!

2. Kevin says:

I call BS.  Greenlake isn’t open for fishing yet, there shouldn’t have been a “trout fisherman” down by the shore.  April 28th http://wdfw.wa.gov/news/apr0412a/

• Thanks for the comment, Kevin. You are correct that opening day isn’t until April 28.

The trout, however, have been at Green Lake since April 10: http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/plants/weekly/ — along with a few folks (illegally) fishing them.
      Amy

• Tom says:

Green Lake is open year round to fishing. Trout season is only for lakes that aren’t open year round.

• Yes, thank you Tom! You are correct — I just double-checked.  I have deleted my erroneous comment about the legality of year-round fishing above.

Thanks again,

Amy

3. Andrew says:

I live in the Old Rainier Brewery in SoDo and had a similar experience a few days ago. I didn’t actually see it fall out of the sky, but I did manage to find a mysterious trout lying on the ground near the outer door to my building: http://mlkshk.com/r/EVGN.jpg

4. Nathan says:

I wonder if what saw was not an immature bald eagle but was in fact an osprey. My wife and I live right on Greenlake and we often spot osprey flying around the lake. In fact, on Saturday (4/21) we took our canoe out on the lake and watched four osprey hunting fish in Greenlake. We watched them swoop and dive into the water for fish and even saw a few catch some trout and fly away from the lake to a find a perch to eat their catch. We also watched one osprey be harassed by seagulls just moments after it caught a fish, and I imagine crows would do the same thing. Osprey are proficient and specific hunters of fish, especially trout, by dive-bombing the water or swooping down on them from above. They are large birds of prey, but not as big as bald eagles. They are easily distinguished from bald eagles by white patches on the underside of their wings, a white body, and a dark streak through the eyes. If you head out to the lake there’s a good chance you can see and watch them hunt. As a side note, their flight pattern looks similar that of a seagull.

• Chris Jordan says:

From the look I got of the bird I think it was an immature bald eagle. It had some white speckling on its body and wings that made me think that, and the head and wing tips were not white like a mataure bald eagle. I don’t know what an Osprey looks like, so I suppose it could have been one.
      And yes, Greenlake had trout fishermen all over the place on Sunday. I don’t know when the season starts anywhere else but there were many trout fisherman at GL.
      Chris

5. Melissa says:

On Friday the 27th, I saw an Osprey carrying a small silver fish over the intersection of 55th and Wallingford. It was the first time I had seen something like this.