Heart-shaped tree ID tags hung at Green Lake Park

What do you think? (7 Comments) March 7, 2011 at 2:01PM
I <Heart> Trees Event 6MAR11 MG_0130-1

Photo courtesy Nat Rocket

Yesterday (Sunday, March 6, 2011), a  local group of plant enthusiasts, led by plant lover Meghan Fuller, hung 128 hand-made “ID bracelets” on the trees around the walking path at Green Lake Park.

Each sign is about 1’ x 1’, made of wood, heart-shaped, and hand-painted and decorated with the Latin and common name of the tree it identifies.

The “I Heart Trees!” project is meant to inspire and encourage visitors to the park to learn about the world around them. The project is temporary and has been approved by Seattle Parks and Recreation.

Many thanks to photographer Nat Rocket for sharing the following images of the hanging of the hearts:

I <Heart> Trees Event 6MAR11 MG_0052
I <Heart> Trees Event 6MAR11 MG_0425
I <Heart> Trees Event 6MAR11 MG_0519

More photographs of the tree ID tags at Green Lake Park can be found here.

Thank you, Nat!

7 Responses to “Heart-shaped tree ID tags hung at Green Lake Park”

1. Nancy M says:

Meghan Fuller’s I Heart Trees event was fabulously considered, start to finish. As one of many volunteer participants, I was stopped by dozens of curious, interested Green Lake walkers who were energized by this art-and-information installation. The plaques themselves are beautiful as is the intention to bring more awareness to Seattle’s urban forest. While this is a (Parks Dept sanctioned) temporary installation, I hope it lingers for a long time. Thanks Meghan!
    Nancy M
    It’s a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood Tree Planting Project

2. Suzanne says:

Great photos I love the fish eye lens on the first one w/ the skateboarder. Is there a follow up act to this event? LIKE more information about carbon sequestering rates for particular trees, or how much particulate is filtered by a conifer vs. a broadleaf? MORE science behind each plaque for the curious.

SF

SF

3. Polaski says:

This project looks lovely. Do we know just how “temporary” its installation will be, however?

4. John Watt says:

This is a fine idea. Let’s hope that some way can be found to fund a set of permanent tags (such as are in the Washington Park Arboretum). Green Lake has rather a variety of under-appreciated trees. Nice start!

5. Jenn says:

I absolutely loved the tree signs today on my walk. What a wonderful way to learn about so many species of trees. I had no idea. And the signs are beautiful! Thank you!!

6. AP says:

I saw these on my run today! Thank you Meghan and friends, not only for making me smile, but learning something too!

7. ss says:

I really loved this. Great idea…made me think of the trees that surround me every day when I walk. Thank you!