A peek inside Tangletown’s new 56th Street Market

What do you think? (7 Comments) January 26, 2011 at 3:17PM

The new 56th Street Market opened today (Wednesday, Jan. 26, 2011) in the spot formerly occupied by Meridian Market at 2201 N 56th St.

The market opened its doors at 11:30 a.m. and, by the time I visited at 2:30 p.m., had already been visited by many curious neighbors.

Here’s a look at what is already available in the market. ¬†Coming soon are magazines and newspapers (The New York Times, The Seattle Times, USA TODAY, and The Wall Street Journal), Bob’s Red Mill products, local produce, and Sunrise greeting cards.

7 Responses to “A peek inside Tangletown’s new 56th Street Market”

1. Evan Jacobs says:

From the pictures it looks much nicer than expected. Hoping to visit soon.

2. guest says:

Do they have a seating area, like Meridian Market did?

3. Ben Robinson says:

I can confirm dog biscuits. My dog was an enthusiastic early customer.

4. P Holder says:

I went last night to check it out. Unfortunately, I was a quite disappointed. It feels more like a 7Eleven than a neighborhood grocer.
    Maybe it will evolve over time but for me, it doesn’t reflect what I feel is the ethos of my neighborhood.

5. Mina says:

Good to see the place being used in a practical way. Let’s not put on airs. The neighborhood needs a place to grab milk and other basics, and this will fill the bill.

6. Anne says:

Personally I think there is too much of the store space stocked with things most of the neighborhood doesn’t buy on a daily basis. Kids will like it, there is lots ‘o candy, like Halloween every day of the year. And, one could just about drown in amidst all the non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverage choices. Yes, some choice is good, but the choice currently is overwhelming.

I would like to see more things to eat and more ingredients to use for preparing quick, simple meals.

I would much prefer a store I want to go to on a regular basis because of the product mix, rather than a store that is an afterthought because they might have something I’ve run out of.