Man claiming to need money for a locksmith once again targets a Green Lake home

What do you think? (9 Comments) December 23, 2010 at 7:54PM

The “locksmith scammer” is back.

Back in September, an east Green Lake resident told us about a man who knocked on her door, introduced himself as a new neighbor and said that he had locked himself out of his house.

“He said he needed $75 to pay the locksmith,” reported the woman, “but only had $71. I almost fell for it, until on a hunch I asked him which house he lived in and he couldn’t answer me specifically.  Probably harmless, but my husband informed me they just reported about this scam on Dateline.”

A similar incident happened again last night (Wednesday, Dec. 22, 2010) at a residence near NE 65th St and 4th Ave NE.

“A man came to our house last night saying he had just moved in down the street and is a maintenance person at Roosevelt High School,” a woman who wishes to remain anonymous told me today.  ”He claimed he had locked himself out and needed money to pay the locksmith. He swore he would be right back to pay me back but never returned.”

She described described the man this way: ”He is about 5’8″ and 150 pounds.  He is a black man in his 40s, slightly balding.”

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

9 Responses to “Man claiming to need money for a locksmith once again targets a Green Lake home”

1. Mag says:

The same thing happened to us on Thanksgiving day. It was past midnight when the guy knocked on the door, tall black guy in the 40s. We live near Woodlawn Ave and 4th ave NE.

2. A UW Grad Student says:

Hmm. Well, apparently he got me. I’m sure it was the same man – he told me he had just moved in across the street, and had locked himself out of his car, and had to get back to his janitorial job at UW or be fired. He said he was $13 short. I really believed him, and when he said he’d return the money, I gave him $15 and said don’t worry about paying it back.

Oh well. That’s too bad. I really believe in helping people without doubting their legitimacy, because I’ve been in a few desperate moments myself. Exploiting that really is disappointing.

3. gina says:

I have written to this blog before or maybe it was Wallyhood…a man with this same description came up to our house…that day right before it snowed. He had his sweatshirt over his arm although it was almost 20 degrees out…he said he needed money for his daughter’s present and he felt really bad about not having a gift. I really fell for it but my head said no because this world you can’t be sure he won’t keep coming back.
    We live by Mighty O Donuts.
    What do you think we can do ?

4. wm says:

Exactly the same thing happened to us at 12th NE & NE 69th on Dec. 15 – same description, same story

5. Erin says:

He came to our house on the 23rd, claiming he had just moved in and he was a janitor at Bishop Blanchett. He said his name was Patrick and that he’d pay it back right away. I figured it was a scam. I thought he asked for $3 and since it was Christmas I gave it to him. It turned out he wanted $13, which I didn’t have. This is near 85th and Interlake.

6. Guest says:

Yes, I am around 4th ave NE and 65th. The same locksmith thing happened to me, I think it was in November. I didn’t give him money since the story was suspicious.

7. GeorgieR says:

The same guy was at our house (Wallingford and 85th) in early December. He claimed he’d been locked out of his house and needed money to pay the locksmith. And would be back later that day to pay us back. Of course, he never came back.

8. Lost says:

I would tell him to get off my porch. Someone who actually lives in the neighborhood will know all the neighbors within a few houses and should be able to solicit help from them without having to go to strangers. Don’t give bums/druggies/scammers money, it only encourages them.