Body found in Green Lake

What do you think? (29 Comments) June 8, 2010 at 8:10AM

Body found at Green LakeA man’s body was found in Green Lake this morning.

At 7:56 a.m., 13 rescue units were sent to 7312 W Green Lake Dr after reports came in from passerby of a body in the water.

While fire fighters at the scene reported that the man was 70 years old, My Green Lake tipster Silver heard via the city’s Police, Fire, and EMS scanner that the man was 74 years old.

According to Seattle Fire Department Battalion Chief J.D. Hagen, the fire department found the man face down in shallow water, about 5-10 feet offshore. The rescue team was immediately able to retrieve him from the water and began life-saving efforts. They attempted to resuscitate him for 25-30 minutes and were ultimately unsuccessful. Silver reports hearing that the rescue efforts were abandoned at 8:27 a.m.

There were no signs of foul play. As Chief Hagen says,

Our best guess is that this gentleman was out for walk, or perhaps sitting or standing on the dock, enjoying the beautiful morning that we’re having after so many days of rain, and then had some kind of medical emergency that caused him to fall in.

I also spoke with Officer D.M. Leslie.  After most of the other units had left, Officer Leslie was at the scene, waiting for the Medical Examiner to arrive.

Officer Leslie told me that the man was found with a wallet full of credit cards, family pictures, and identification.  He was “dressed like you and me” and did not appear to be homeless.  When the police ran his ID, they discovered that the man was reported missing to the King County Sherif’s Office three days ago.

Officer Leslie shared the following Death Scene sketch with me:

Copyright Upper Seattle LLC. May not be used without permission.

29 Responses to “Body found in Green Lake”

1. Silver says:

I'm sure you'll be posting a follow-up soon. Attempts to resuscitate the seventy-four year old gentleman were abandoned at 8:27am. Apparent cause of death: Heart attack/drowning. At least he picked a lovely spot. R.I.P. sir.

2. mygreenlake says:

Thank you, Silver. Writing update now. Really appreciate your help. And, yes, a lovely spot on a lovely day.

3. Silver says:

Excellent reporting! Thanks for going over there.

4. GreenLakerGrrl says:

So very sad. To think that I was 1/2 way around the lake, closer to the playfields when it might have happened. I wish I had been closer.

5. mygreenlake says:

Thanks, Silver…and thank YOU for the helpful additions. Feel free to call me at any time with scanner news – 206-718-5801. -amy

6. That is sad; unfortunately who knows when he exactly fell in since he was reported missing 3 days ago

7. J&R says:

Really sad news. But…does anyone else think it's weird that he was reported missing 3 days ago?? Could that somehow be related?

8. Bob says:

It takes a while before a body floats so it makes sense that no one saw anything for a couple days.

9. Ellisnj says:

We know this gentleman. He was a very kind soul. He was quite an architectural artist. Please
    pray for the youngest of his dear children who will be graduating from high school on
    Sunday. The world is going to miss a great man! N. & R.

10. walker says:

Thanks for giving us the human touch. It's one thing to hear about a body, and another to mourn a person, his life, and the effect of this tragedy on his family. I will pray.

11. Bjnsteve says:

Do you know any more about the circumstances of this tragic event. I am this gentleman's brother and my wife and I just returned to San Diego after being with his children and other family members for the funeral and his daughter's graduation. My wife and I visited the Green Lake site while we were there and we are having a hard time imagining how he could have drowned in such shallow water. Yes, he was a very good artist. How do you know him? His brother Steve.

12. Bjnsteve says:

Do you know any more about the circumstances of this tragic event. Where you present at the scene that morning when the rescue attempt was made? As you can see from my other post, I am the deceased's brother and I would like to understand more about the circumstances of his untimely death. Thanks for any information you can provide….. Steve

13. mygreenlake says:

Hi Bjnsteve,

My sincere condolences to you and your family. If it is any comfort, it was a beautiful morning here in Seattle, and your brother was at a very peaceful area of the lake.

I myself was not present during the rescue event, but arrived shortly after. The fire fighter I spoke with told me that your brother likely had a heart attack and then fell in to the water. I hope this helps explain the death a bit – you are right, it is very shallow there.

Again, I am sorry for your loss.

Amy Duncan
    Editor
    My Green Lake

14. Bjnsteve says:

15. Bjnsteve says:

16. mygreenlake says:

Hi Bjnsteve,

Again, I am sorry for your loss.

Amy Duncan