Show your support for the Green Lake Bathhouse

What do you think? (49 Comments) January 28, 2010 at 9:20PM

Your support is needed!  (And it will be easy – read on!)

A small group of Green Lakers is rallying for a worthwhile cause: the Green Lake Bathhouse, a neighborhood treasure, is in dire need of upgrading.

The bathhouse, located on the west side of the lake at 7312 West Green Lake Dr N, was constructed in 1928 as a place for modest folks to change from street clothes to beachwear.

As modesty became less of concern, use of the bathhouse decreased.  In 1970, the Parks Department converted the building into a 130-seat theater.  The bathhouse continues to this day to operate as a theater, and currently it is leased from the city by the Seattle Public Theater.

Sadly, the building is in need of some serious repair.

The roof leaks in several locations, including onto seats in the theater.  (If you have ever attended a performance during a rain storm, you may have seen buckets on these seats!)

There is water damage to the ceiling, the walls, the floors, and the carpets.

There is also an ongoing problem with crime at the bathhouse.  There is chronic vandalism, and the building was broken into and burglarized last year.  There were a couple of violent fights near the building last summer.

So, how can you help?  Read on.

A group of concerned neighbors is proposing to the city that much-need repairs and security upgrades be made to the bathhouse theater.  Specifically, they are hoping to receive funding from the Parks and Green Spaces Levy Opportunity Fund.

Applications for funding are due this Monday, February 1st.  The paperwork is being taken care of.  All that is needed from you – and this will really help – is for you to demonstrate your support of the project.  And how to do that?

Simply add a comment to this post indicating that you support the project. Ta-da!  You’ve done your part for your neighborhood.  Nice work!

Update, March 11: Read more about the effort to secure funding to restore the bathhouse, and how you can help.

The Green Lake Bathhouse

The Green Lake Bathhouse

49 Responses to “Show your support for the Green Lake Bathhouse”

1. I wholeheartedly support this!

2. Mitch Spute says:

We defiantly have to protect the Bath House Theatre and the sooner the better, the longer its in the disrepair the more expensive it will be to fix up. I was wondering about historical preservation and found this link on line http://www.wa-trust.org/ I'll shoot them a quick email w/ a link to this story.

3. Greg Sullivan says:

Absolutely! I also support the restoration and upkeep of a neighborhood historical treasure! The Bathhouse has been around for a long time. Let's keep it around for a lot longer.

4. ghdurham says:

The bathhouse is a great community resource and asset. Great little theatre, and a wonderful location. I think the community would rally round it.

5. kmattaini says:

We love the Bath House! It's a community treasure. We absolutely support funding from the parks and green spaces levy opportunity fund.

6. Dave says:

I completely support this

7. Johanna B says:

Green Lake would not be the same without the Bath House, and its condition reflects on the lake and our neighborhood at large. It is definitely a worthy cause and gets my vote of support–let's get the House back in to shape!

8. maillot jaune says:

Since I have been walking around Green Lake on weekday mornings for the last 2 & 1/2 years I have gained a wonderful appreciation for this grand old building. Let us to all we can to restore the shine to this community owned jewel.

9. Mauro Costa says:

I support the project!

10. Julia says:

I absolutely support this. It's a beautiful building and SPT is doing great community engagement with fantastic programming and youth theatre education. I'd love to see the House get shined up!

11. Barbara Lynne Jamison says:

What a treasure this is for our community and for greater Seattle. I fully support the proposal to refurbish the Bathhouse Theatre facility.

12. Mary_M_GLCC says:

Thanks for posting, Amy! And thanks to the community for your support. The next step will be a formal application, which is due in April. We'll have more info at the March 10th Green Lake Community Council meeting.

13. Julie G says:

I am in total support of any funding that could help restore this treasure. Too often these wonderful old buildings are left to crumble…such a shame!!

14. Phil Austin says:

I'm definitely a supporter! We just saw The Santaland Diaries at the Bath House a couple weeks ago and donated to Seattle Public Theater as well. Keep it alive!!!

15. David Poitry says:

Absolutely. The Greenlake Bathhouse is a real treasure. I would like to see the Parks & Recreation Department spend money there now and save this historic building rather then let it deteriorate any further

16. Kate Laughlin says:

Thank you for taking good care of the Bathhouse–a real Seattle treasure!

17. Juliana C says:

I absolutely support this.

18. dru druzianich says:

I support the efforts to rehab this beatiful jewel of a building on our Green Lake shores. I have been walking the Lake these last 2 & 1/2 years on weekday mornings and the magnificence of the (oft sundrenched) reflection of this grand old jewel on the Lake always inspires me.

19. Bonita Justice says:

Keep Green Lake vital! Keep this theater open!

20. The Bathhouse Theatre is a Seattle gem and a significant part of our community. If you haven't seen “The Best Christmas Pageant Ever” or any of the community plays, make plans to now. Let's keep the building safe, secure and vital!

21. Dick Hess says:

I loved going to the Bathhouse for plays. This sounds like a very worthwhile project.

22. rickbarrett says:

At the March 13th Seattle Neighborhood Coalition meeting Parks Superintendent Timothy Gallagher responded to questions about repairing the roof by stating that this had been characterized as “Preventive Maintenance” and therefore had been moved to “Category Two” (after a couple of probing questions, he revealed there are five Categories, one being the highest on the priorities list, and the only ones likely to be addressed). He also said that almost all of the actual field workers in his Department had been laid off, but since this was a Category Two item it was not a problem.
    Maybe it's not to him, but to most reasonable people, it is, and deserves more attention than the Parks Department seems willing to give to it. Mr Gallagher further defended his position by telling us that his own roof at Parks Headquarters leaked, as if that made all other roof leaks OK.
    Go figure.

23. Beau says:

The bathhouse has been an asset to the community for nearly a century and we need to do our part to keep it going.

24. Niki Choe says:

The Bathhouse Theater is a joy and a truly magical place. One of my favorite memories is taking my family to see a performance of “The Best Christmas Pageant Ever” the year before last. The intimacy of the the performance in this venue made me feel like we were watching it unfold in our own living room. When we exited the theater we were greeted by the view of the lake, the first snowfall of the season which had begun during the play, a stand serving hot cocoa and to our good fortune, carolers. It made for a Norman Rockwell of an evening and put us all in the holiday spirit. And what is most exciting about this theater is that it is bare bones and could be so much more. You can't visit this space without thinking “what if they did this…”. I sincerely support this renovation project and applaud those driving it for their vision and efforts!

25. Niki Choe says: